Councillor Marie Jenkins' Personal Blog

Welcome to my blog.†

My name is Marie Jenkins, Liberal Democrat Member and Teignbridge District Councillor for Newton Abbot (College) Ward, in South Devon.

The purpose of this blog is to try and keep you informed about my role and provide you with information about developments in Teignbridge District Council and our local Ward, Newton Abbot (College).

My Committee responsibilities with Teignbridge District Council include membership of Executive and Portfolio Holder for Communities & Regulation.

I am also the Member Champion for Youth!

I will clarify my responsibilities in future blogs...

Monday, November 03, 2008

The Tale of Two Presidential Elections


Today, I cast my vote in the Presidential Election - no, not in the election that everyone has their eyes on in the USA; but the one to decide the next President of the Liberal Democrats.

Baroness Ros Scott got my first preference vote, with my second going to Lembit Opik MP. Ros is an excellent politician, who cut her teeth in local government. I didn't hesitate to vote for her, and when the ballot closes on Friday, I hope that she will be the person to take my party forward in order to fight the next General Election from a strong place.
Turning to events on the other side of the pond; I am looking forward to watching the results come in with some friends in Exeter. The last time America went to vote, I was working in London, and the anticipation was almost too much. Sadly it didn't go our way, but I have high hopes for this time around.
Several of my friends are currently working on the Obama campaign in various States in America. I am extremely jealous of their opportunity, but work keeps me here this time around, and I will have to make do with the rolling news channels to keep me up-to-date! Having campaigned in a couple of General Elections here and numerous by-elections, I can imagine that volunteers are starting to get a little tired now, and are looking forward to the final push tomorrow.
Results in America won't be known here until breakfast time, but it is an exciting time, and I look forward to seeing what direction our closest allies will be taking in the next few years.










0 Comments: